Home improvement is a vast area. Not all homes are spacious, though they can hold all the essentials of the home with the inhabitants. A home is as spacious as your imagination allows. There are lots of things you can do to improve your living conditions at home. You can make your home spacious, and easy enough to handle things, if you plan aptly. Here are a few ideas on home improvement. You would not only find about improving your kitchen and living rooms, but also about home improvement loans in this piece of information.
Living room of the home shows what the house holds for everyone. It should allow the members of the home to spend time together, and it should provide ample space for conversation with the guests.
- If you feel your living room is not too big, and stairs are present in the living room, then you can make a pit. Sofas, cushions and center tables can be placed here. You get space to walk around, and it also provides a cozy effect.
- Use the modern equipment that arrives in the market, if you have a cramped space. For instance, you can bring in entertainment units, which save space; while it lets you use as many devices as possible.
- Choose furniture that can save space, if you do not have a spacious living room. In case, your living room is not symmetrical, and has nooks, then the nooks can be used for study.
- For older houses, the panels have to be changed, and paints too have to be done again. In such cases, choose the paints that make the living room more expressed.
- Use coffee tabs that can double as draws, and can hold your magazines and newspapers. If you have kids around, ensure these tables can be used by them for their homework activities.
- Take into consideration, the number of members at home and how many guests frequent to your home.
Using the Space Under the Stairs:
What many miss is the space under the stairs. Do you have books that never fit into any room of your home? Then the space under the stairs can be an apt spot for your bookshelf. If you do not have a bookshelf, then do not think that you can let it stay vacant. The same space can be used for storage purposes. They can hold shoes, or can be made into closets to hold your clothes, or anything else that does not find space in rest of the house. If you have pets, the space underneath the stairs can be used as their home. Another option is that you can use the space under every step, if they are made of wood and can be opened and closed to store things that you do not need frequently. For instance, the tools that are not used often can be placed here.
Kitchen Improvement Ideas:
Kitchen is the place at home that should be spacious enough to work. The person who works at kitchen should be able to use it freely. This is not only because, there are chances of small and big accidents, but the mood of the person who cooks reflects in the food’s quality and taste. Here are few ideas that make the kitchen spacious and a hassle-free place to work.
- Open shelves can make your kitchen look bigger. Use appliances that are modern and sustainable. Energy efficient appliances in the market can help you save on the bills, and are also sleek in design.
- Use door mounted shelves, and cabinet cases that allow more space. Use small shelves in the nooks of the walls near the cabinets to arrange your spices and other things you store in bottle. You can this way store more, and if you choose the storage containers wisely, they add to the beauty of the kitchen.
- Your countertops should be chosen with care. Even though you are cutting down costs, always choose the one that is durable, so that you need not be spending again on the countertops. So, use granite material. When you have chosen the color of the granite you intend to use, get open shelves that you use painted in the same color. If you are going for new shelves, you have wide range of color options to choose from.
- Use kitchen islands. They offer enough space, and can be used in multiple ways. For instance, these kitchen islands can be a table for your kids to do homework while you supervise, or a perfect space for an intimate breakfast.
- If the kitchen spills into other rooms, say your living area, then you need to choose the colors for your kitchen, to blend with the living room.
- When you want to choose the colors for your kitchen, the size of the kitchen matters a lot. A small kitchen with little space would look more spacious when black and white colors are used. If you do not want to mix colors, the white walls never go out of trend. Bright colors are best suited for the modern kitchens. Use blue and turquoise for kitchen cabinets, if they are of traditional style.
- Never miss the ceiling. Light them up. Blue is the best color to paint on the ceiling.
- Clean your kitchen once in 6 months, to throw away stuff that is not often used.
Starting with home improvement:
When you have decided on home improvement, based on the ideas listed above, it is essential that you consider various other factors too. When you want to start with improving your home, find what triggers you. There can be various reasons for the same. One can try to remodel the home to get a good value on the home. For some people, it is because their lifestyle is upgraded, and for a few, the home might have been built decades ago, and remodeling and improvement is inevitable.
If you are planning to increase the price of the house, then you need to concentrate on the specific features. You can paint the house, change the panels that look old, and concentrate on the kitchen and bathrooms. If you have an old house and plan to sell the same, these are the areas that need improvement. New electrical and kitchen appliances should be brought in to give a touch of class. If you are upgrading the home just because your lifestyle has seen a change, like you get more guests, your career prospects have improved, then you should always set your budget first. If you are concentrating on home improvement because your house is too old to sustain, again budget plays a vital role, and additionally you should remember that you would be remodeling everything about the house.
Setting the budget:
Your budget for home improvement can depend on various factors. If you need a posh looking house, then you cannot be stringent. If you want to make your house more spacious, cozy and elegant, then you can find various options to fix a budget that comes within what you can afford. Here are a few ideas that let you save cost on home improvement.
- Use and remodel the existing things. For instance, instead of getting a new coffee table, you can remodel or decorate the existing one.
- Use the spaces wisely. You can bring in hidden rooms, and area above the stairs. They can be storage rooms or play rooms.
- Bring in shelves behind the doors. The cost involved is less, and the things you store are never an eyesore.
How to settle down on a budget?
This could be a hassle. You need to understand that your home improvement means your bank balance getting decreased. This is because home improvement can cost a lot regardless of the plan. So, you need to make a list of things that you need mandatorily. A few other things that can be skipped should be listed separately. Check with the contractor, the rates for both. Now, if you feel that including a few things cannot affect your finances much, then you can check for the rates and include them. When you make the lists ensure that the entire family agrees to it.
Things you should not compromise:
A few people look for cheap price tags, and quality is not of much importance to them. Never compromise quality for cost. There are a few things, you should think of. You can find plastic countertops and wooden countertops for cheaper rates. But, you would be actually spending on them again because, they are not durable. When you spend on granite countertops, you can see them priced high, but they can stay for years without having to be replaced. This is the same case with the rest of the appliances, furniture, paints, panels, closets and everything associated with remodeling your home.
But if you insist on saving, there are a few things you can do. You can find materials from online shops, which often come with lighter price tags. Also, choose things when there are deals. These are best methods to get quality products for lower prices. Another option is identifying a dealer, who deals with couple of things you need. For instance, the dealer may deal with living room furniture, and decors. When you place order for both from the same dealer, one can negotiate.
Home improvement loans:
When you want home improvement to be done without getting into tight spots, then you can find the home improvement loans available for you. These loans can be applied by the homeowners for any sort of improvement activities, like remodeling or for extension activities. You can go for these loans, when you want to get new appliances for your kitchen or bathroom, plumbing and rewiring. You can get loans for home improvement through remortgage, or getting further advance on your mortgage. You can also go for the secured home improvement loans, which have the interest rate of 7%. The loan amount decided the loan tenure, which can be between 5 and 25 years. Your home’s equity increases based on what you invest in remodeling your home. The loan options are new and sophisticated in the recent days. You need to choose the right lender, as there are many lenders in the market today. Online applications make the process easier.
If you watch televisions, you can see home improvement is the fad these days. It is being advertised that nothing ever goes wrong in this niche. But is this true? Can you jump into improving your home without thinking about the pros and cons? Can you trust some contractor who is into this industry because nothing can go wrong? You can easily understand these ads are gimmicks, and like any other industry, pitfalls are ready for those, who do not take time to think. Here are a few things, you should never miss or forget when you have decided to go for home improvement.
- Always choose a licensed and reputed contractor. Most of the mistakes occur when you choose someone who can complete the project in a very short span of time. Check with various contractors, on the price ranges, and pick the one who offers quality service, and not based on the price tag.
- Problems occur when contractors switch to low quality products and unskilled labors without keeping you informed. Hence the reason, the government has rules and regulations about the labors. Always peep in to find if the contractor sticks to his words.
- Never forget to sign a contract. This is a solid proof which defines your needs, and which has a record of the quality of service for an accepted price from the contractor’s end.
- You need to spend time on identifying the right person who can complete the project. Check with various professionals not only about the price, but also about the duration. When someone agrees to get the job done in 3 months, but the task takes more than 4 months, you would be obviously paying more than what you have agreed.
- Never look for quick fixes.
Your home improvement takes lots of money from your wallet. So, if you feel that you need to think too much and spend too much of time on it, then you need to understand that you cannot afford to makes mistakes. Home improvement needs to be done with proper planning. Collect data and ideas, from the online sources and the experts. Take in what your family members have got to say, and consider how much you can afford toward it. Take advantage of the loans and you can find that you and your family can cast happy smiles for all these efforts.